SQL Delta Logo
SQL Delta Banner

Snapshots

You can provide feedback to our developers

Snapshots

Postby Iain » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:20 am

Is it possible to create snapshot file without having to do a comparison first?
Iain

Postby Jay Bailey » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:29 am

Hi Iain,

It is possible to create a snapshot without having to do a structure comparison. You need to enter the connection details into the source database then click View Database, once the database has been loaded you can then save a snapshot.
Regards,
Jay Bailey
SQL Delta Support
Jay Bailey
Site Admin

Postby DWalker » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:18 pm

Is this answer still valid? The menus have changed a lot in the past year.

When we want to CREATE a snapshot, there is only one database that's logically involved.

There is a large "Snapshot" icon on the toolbar that is greyed out before you have done a comparison.

So, I'm confused.

The process of MAKING a snapshot and using it in a compare, are two completely different things, and we should not have to do a compare in order to make a snapshot. (I couldn't follow your instructions to Iain from a year ago, since I can't figure out where to fill in the connection info. Do I need to make a new connection? Oh, I can make a new project... and the View Structure icon is WAAAAAAY over on the right side, under "Target Connection". I'll try that.)

Maybe you could make the process of creating a snapshot a little easier or more intuitive somehow. Perhaps a "Create Snapshot" icon would do the trick.

So, it is possible, but not easy. :-)

Thanks.
DWalker

Postby Jay Bailey » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:54 am

Hi David,

Thanks for the issue report, we are looking into this now.
Regards,
Jay Bailey
SQL Delta Support
Jay Bailey
Site Admin

Postby DWalker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Well, it's possible, but not straightforward, to create a project whose purpose is to create a snapshot of a database.

I have succeeded in making a project like that. When I need to make the snapshot, I am looking at the Structure tab in the project, and I click the Snapshot icon. The tooltip text on that icon is VERY helpful, since it tells me that I am creating a snapshot of the database. Without that tooltip text, I would complain that the icon named "Snapshot" is not very clear. :-)
DWalker

Re: Snapshots

Postby david » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:59 am

Hi,

Just to clarify, the database schema must be loaded before we can create a snapshot, whether this is done during compare or structure load. The quickest way to create a snapshot is to create a new project and only have the source database (click disable connection for the target). Click view structure, SQL Delta loads up the schema and then click snapshot to save the snapshot.

You can also use Delta Snap to do this on a repeated basis and there is no need to run SQL Delta. See downloads for Delta Snap and http://www.sqldelta.com/deltasnap.html for more information.

Regards
David
david
Site Admin

Return to Feedback