SQL Delta Logo
SQL Delta Banner

Data comparison - used defined key columns hidden

Support and information about SQL Delta for SQL Server Version 5

Data comparison - used defined key columns hidden

Postby grzegorzw » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Hello,
I'm using version 5 with the latest updates.
When I use the data comparison the user defined key is used for the particular table. The issue is that when the results are displayed there are only two possible options:
1. show all columns - that is hard to analyse
2. show only different columns - but in such case the result is almost useless as the key columns are hidden
Is there any possibility to force the columns from the key to be always displayed? If not please add this option to the tool.
Best regards,
Greg
grzegorzw

Re: Data comparison - used defined key columns hidden

Postby david » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi Greg,

Version 6 is available at https://client.sqldelta.com/download and in this version we have changed the way the keys are display in the data compare.
You can install V6 along side V5 so please try the new version and let us know if this meets your requirement.
Regards
David
david
Site Admin

Postby grzegorzw » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi David,
I tried the same scenario on both versions - 5 and 6.
Two tables have been chosen - 1500 rows in the first one and 2500 rows in the second one.
Then the custom keys have been selected for both tables (two columns in each table).
Then the source filtering has been applied for both tables narrowing the number of rows to ca. 100. The Target has been been filtered.
Then some columns have been turned off to not be compared. In the result it was left not more than several columns for each table.
Here are the results:
1. version 5 does not show key columns as reported
2. version 6 shows properly the key columns but only in above/below mode; in the side/by/side mode they are hidden as in version 5 - I assume that this is a bug or not implemented yet as the version has not been released yet (not available on the download page)
So yes, in the above/below mode it works as expected.
3. The performance of the version 6 is terribly low. The scenario described above took 10 seconds in version 5 and 6 minutes(!) in version 6.
I'd add that I was connected to both SQL Servers remotely (different localization than SQL Delta tool) via VPN (~5Mb).
4. Additionally I noticed many display artefacts like the screen refreshing not properly when the mouse pointer is moved over the data. (Windows 8.1 if it does matter)
Best regard,
Greg
grzegorzw

Postby david » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi Greg,

What version of V6 are you using?

Regards
David
david
Site Admin

Postby grzegorzw » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 am

Hi David,
I use the version taken from the link you have provided: DeltaConfig-6.0.3.2010
Regards,
Greg
grzegorzw

Postby david » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 am

Hi Greg,

There is an update available .2012 which fixes the side by side view to show the key values correctly.
Also columns that are mapped but not selected (not compared) are also highlighted.
I'm interested to know if the performance is still slow for V6. Our tests show the performance is the same or better than V5 so if you still get poor performance I would appreciate more info on your project settings, specifically the actual filter text and perhaps some schema info such if the filter is utilizing an index. Even a copy of your table schema would be really handy so we could test here.

You can either post here or email support@sqldelta.com.

Regards
David
david
Site Admin

Postby grzegorzw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Hi David,
Sorry for the delay, but I had no time for the tests.
I think I found the reason. The way how SQL Delta gathers the meta data information has been changed. In version 5 there were just few queries that took all meta data in just ten or so batches. In version 6 when the meta data is gathered a separate batch is sent to SQL for each object and that look like that: "Select Name from sys.columns where object_id = ...". If you have a remote SQL on a different continent it can completes only 2 batches per second! The information on the screen where the tables can be selected takes ages... On SQL Delta 5 it takes 10s.
More, when all is set (I mean 3 tables selected, keys defined, columns selected) SQL Delta 5 just performs less than 20 batches starting from "SELECT TOP 1 ..." and it takes just 4 seconds to display the result.
Again, SQL Delta 6 approach is different. It rebuilds the whole meta data for all tables in the system in the same way with separate batches. I takes ages once again. And finally performs similar data gathering action that are pretty fast and take similar time to SQL Delta 5.
So there are two issues
1 - why when the data is being compared the whole meta data is refreshed
2 - why the meta data is not taken as few queries, but as hundreds of separate batches
With such approach the new version will be not usable in the distributed environments.

I hope this will help.

PS. There are other usability issue related to just GUI like no possibility to move window where the keys are defined, no possibility to turn off all columns to be compared with one click when one wants to select just 3 of 100, etc. IMHO this was much better implemented in the version 5. I hope this is because this is still beta and such elements will be improved in the final version.
grzegorzw

Postby david » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi Greg,

The loaders are roughly the same in V5 and 6 with some tweaking in 6 to improve performance.
The primary difference is in V5 we must do a schema compare first and then the data compare can be processed so he profile you see is just the data loader running during the data compare. eg. select a,b from source and target tables.
The schema load (meta data load) has already happened.

We changed the load because we had a lot of requests for data compare only. Admittedly we still need to load the schema for the target to ensure we can drop and recreate certain schema objects like foreign keys and this may require a change of schema bound views however the schema load is smaller than standard schema compare. We also partially load the source schema to confirm the structure has not changed and the mapped data objects still exist.

If you profile V5 from the start of running the project you should get the same performance bottle neck which is a limit of the remote server returning data slowly. If not then something has changed within the core connection code between 5 and 6 which we haven't seen before. Please let me know if V5 is much quicker to load the schema than V6, that is not our experience so we are very interested to learn why.

As for the form sizing, because of tabs we cannot have modal dialogs/windows. We appreciate your feedback about the key window and we will review how this could be improved.
We will add a check all/uncheck all option to the columns. To remove columns from compare and scripting use the Clear All Mapped.

Regards
David
david
Site Admin

Return to Support Version 5