SQL Delta Logo
SQL Delta Banner

SQL Delta for SQL Server 2012

Support and information about SQL Delta for SQL Server Version 5

Postby fantom » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:15 pm

When do you plan to release SQL Delta for SQL Server 2012? Do you have a beta version available?
fantom

Re: SQL Delta for SQL Server 2012

Postby david » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:56 am

Version 5 supports SQL Server 2012 however it will not "see" new objects like sequences. For anyone moving from SQL Server 2000/2005/2008 to 2012 then SQL Delta V5.1 will work fine.

As for Version 6, soon (I hope) - target is a beta release on the 15th of August for schema compare and end of month for data compare. Command Line processing will not be part of the beta and will follow after data compare.

Version 6 is a hugely different release from V5 with better processing, scripting and support for all versions of SQL Server from 2000 up including Azure. Version 6 will be the first version that can perform data compare without the need for a full schema compare, just set the project type to a data compare and run. It will also be the first time we can run multiple projects at the same time, for example compare one source server and database against 3 target servers and databases with the results showing in their own tabs.

Sync scripts are now a single block rather than shown as script segments which means the script order is more reliable than V5.

Filters can be persistent so each time you run a compare the filters are re-applied for the display (and scripting) so common exclusions can be easily defined. For example you might have a set of views with the name dbo.Testing_viewA, dbo.Testing_viewB and filters can be applied to exclude any view name that starts with Testing. This persistence can save so much time if you have common exclusions or perhaps common inclusions that you apply each time you run a compare.

We have also improved the basic display of a database (editor or view mode). The schema script can be viewed, edited, scripts executed and data displayed with many of the features of SQL editors.

One feature we are debating whether to leave is editable scripts for the sync process. Currently in testing sync scripts can be edited and executed in place just like working with scripts in any editor as opposed to version 5 that shows the scripts but they cannot be changed prior to execution.
david
Site Admin

Postby fantom » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:54 pm

I have SQL Delta v5 installed. When I go to compare a 2012 database with a 2008 database, I get the error "Your database server reported a version number of 11.0.2100.60 which is not supported."
fantom

Postby david » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi,

Please Run Delta Update and get the latest version, we have removed the V11 test.
Regards
David
david
Site Admin

Postby fantom » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:01 pm

That worked.
fantom

Postby AwamaOaCB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:03 am

Can anyone explain to me how to set up an automatic backup say every night at 2am on my database server using the SQL job viewer backup part? I have been doing it manually for years and would like to have it done automatically.

thanks,
AwamaOaCB

Postby david » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:06 am

SQL Delta is not really a backup tool, this could be done with SQL Server Backup feature using management studio etc or other dedicated backup products.

If you really want to use Delta to do this you could run a command line project on a timer to sync the db. See command line help within the product for info on setting up a command line project however basically you add the project filename as a parameter within the executable command line.

This would update a database copy every night so the "backup" db is now exactly the same as source. Of course the backup needs to be into SQL Server instead of the file system but could be to a remote SQL Server, basically an offline backup.

Email support@sqldelta if you have questions or need more help.
Regards
David
david
Site Admin

Return to Support Version 5